Thursday, March 26, 2009

RANT - Gladiator Sandal Trend for Spring '09

Starting off my new blog with a RANT!! My other blog is "Marylyn's Rants and Raves", so in keeping with that trend, that will be my theme here as well. I'm really hoping to have more shoe "raves" than "rants", but so far, it's not looking good.

Let's talk about this Gladiator sandal. Someone please tell me how this is a good look on anyone? Don't all those straps get sweaty in the hot summer sun? You would think, paired with a pair of crapped capris, your leg would look stumpy? I'm sooo confused as to why this style is back for another season. This died in 476 A.D..... along with the Roman Empire. Enough Said.

Let's chat about what is going on here. On top #1, a chunky heel as a gladiator? This is combining 1995 with 2009...not a great combo. #2 is a very traditional Gladiator - case in point - this was last seen at the Colosseum, likely in the late 300's A.D. #3 is a L.A.M.B design (Gwen Stefani), that is a mish-mash of a kind-of wedge, open toed gladiator, but with a rope espardille thing going on? pretty much vomit in a shoe. #4 is cute from the ankle down - ankle add-on not necessary at all here. And finally we get to #5 - this makes me sad, as this is a Tory Burch (whom I LOVE LOVE LOVE), but really... this was last seen during the Egyptian era BEFORE the Romans conquered, thus disqualifying it as a Gladiator. All #5 is going to do is emphasize cankles. Sigh. So sad from Tory Burch.

5 comments:

  1. Ok. Gladiators... Romans.... is this a trend that I need to stay away from. I could wear them both with that great toga I have in my closet.
    Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely blog topic. Shoes! :) So, I have to say I have the bottom pair and they look really, really great on the beach with light colored baggy capris or with a bright swim tunic. And also, J. Crew has a new little modified one that has the basic look but without so much ankle, and I got those too as they are better with longer pants. So I am a lame person who likes the gladiator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl I am so with you on these goofy Gladiator shoes. Having read far too many US magazines featuring these shoes, my opinion is they are HIDEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly from Housewives of NY wore them and even she looked bad-she is a former model.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gladiator Sandals are an abomination. My reaction to them is best summed up by Wilhemina Slater in Ugly Betty who makes an employee take them off and then fires her.

    ReplyDelete